Sunday, September 16, 2007

Knit for your Health

I strongly believe that being physically healthy means nothing without having a good bill of mental health. After a particularly stressful weekend, I decided to research some good methods of handling stress. Different sources I looked at provided different results, all of them making perfect sense:

APA

Though short, I really liked it. It says toward the end that one way to lessen the stress in your life is to learn to say "no," something I need to learn to do.

Yahoo Health

This one, written by Gabrielle Reece, the former volleyball star, cited exercise and reflection for managing stress, which I find to be easy to say unless you are under a great deal of stress.

While all of these suggestions are valid, I find managing stress to be a personal decision. As an avid knitter, I came across this article on my favorite knitting website:

Knit Like a Man

I often find my knitting to be a stress reliever, but sometimes I can't even bring myself to do that. This article was difficult to read, but also very honestly done. It's interesting to see someone's progression through a deep depression, from onset to end, by how many rows a person can knit. Many people cite a symptom of depression as when someone begins to lose interest in the things they enjoy. They don't often include, though, that sometimes it is those hobbies that can get you back to your normal, healthy self.

Now off to make a scarf!

No comments: