Saturday, September 29, 2007

Walk Like and Egyptian

On a whim, I decided to research the food pyramid, just to see how I was stacking up (pun intended, and yes, I'm a dork...). What I found actually surprised me. Did you know that there is not one food pyramid, but several, maybe hundreds for all I know?








On the lft is the Asian Food pyramid. The only real difference between this and the American Food Pyramid is that it includes food local to them, such as rice and tea. This is how most of them go, including the Latin American Food Pyramid, Mediterranean Food Pyramid, and so on. However, I did find a few more interesting ones:



The Senior Food Pyramid:





This one takes an emphasis on water and veggies, and includes supplements that should be taken for those in their golden years.











The Vegetarian Food Pyramid:



This one is kind of cool too, and allows for more servings of different kinds of foods normally not mentioned in the regular food pyramid, like beans, nuts and seeds, as well as "Green Leafy Vegetables." Mmmm...









Finally, I thought I'd include the Mayo Clinic's Heathy Weight Food Pyramid:

It really focuses on your vegetable intake, and puts more of an emphasis on excercise, as noted by the totally cool walker in the middle.

No comments: