Monday, October 22, 2007

Increases in Diagnoses

This article makes me scared to have kids.

I've been following the recent talk about the increased diagnoses in ADHD, bipolar disorder, allergies and more for the last couple of months, and no article that I've read has actually made me scared to have children. This one did. Not that it said anything so telling, like my kid is going to die at the ripe old age of 30 because of increased allergies, but the stance that the author took on the reasoning behind these diagnoses.

Weiss stated that lack of contact with certain germs, since we live in more sterile environments now, is not allowing our bodies to build up natural immunities to them. Similarly, the overly industrialized environment that we are living in is giving way to lack of sleep and increased mental and emotional difficulties, leading to ADHD and bipolar disorder. While I don't often buy into the hype that most of the authors I read about speculate, this one actually made sense to me.

No comments: